Friday, March 23, 2012

You teach Me, I'll teach You and We'll go Cycling Two by Two

I'm finishing up my second work week here in Siem Reap, and I finally feel like I've hit my stride...kinda. ;)
On Monday I took over teaching an English class in the morning. Wednesday, we started a new English class and already have 15 new students. For the first three days of teaching I was able to have a translator. The last two days, not so much. But I mean come on, who really needs a translator while trying to explain the English language right?
The 9am class I teach is much more advanced in English since it has been in session for three months now. So, I walked into class on Thursday armed with a Khmer/ English dictionary and with their help I knew we would be fine. We spent the next hour teaching each other. They were learning the verb "to be" and I was learning how pronounce all the words in Khmer needed to explain the verb "to be".  And on the whole, I would say it was a successful session. In the second class at 10am, they learned  the names of the letters and the sounds that they make. I learned how to say "vowel", "consonant", and "sound". Again, pretty successful.
But today...whoa dang, it was awesome! I was teaching the tenses in the first class and learned how to say them all in Khmer AND they understood me!!! But in the second class, that's where you know God stepped in and was like "I got this." One of my students, Malai asked why the vowels sometimes say their name and sometimes say their sounds. Now, she asked this in Khmer mind you, and there was no translator, but I understood EVERY word she said!! Granted, I did have to have her repeat it, but I understood, and I was able to explain why IN KHMER!!!!!! (broken Khmer, with really bad grammar, but we're not going to focus on that). I was so very excited. (Content sigh)...
Today at the end of class, one of my students announced with a big smile that I teach them and they teach the teacher. Yes, yes they do.

While my mornings have been full with teaching English, in the afternoon, my main job is still to focus on the beauty salon and its outreach to the local karaoke girls. So, Jayme (who also works at Rahab's House) and I went for a ride with fliers to pass out a karaoke club near by. Now, we don't speak the language, so of course we needed translators. Jayme hopped on her bike with Bella on the back and I got on my bike with Senet on the back of mine. Riding a bike, or driving a moto, in Cambodia is kind of like a never ending game of chicken. No one has to stay on their side of the road, and as long as you honk your horn to let people know where you are, it really doesn't matter how you drive.
So there we are, two white Americans riding single file down the road. Each carrying a Cambodian girl on the back of our bike. I couldn't help but laugh. All I could think of was "and they came to the ark two by two". The on lookers must have found the humor in the situation as well since many of them couldn't help but laugh.
In spite of our silly arrival, the karaoke girls must have liked us because the salon is really taking off and the English class specific to karaoke girls is almost full!

2 comments:

  1. Now I can see you on your bikes. And something tells me that others were smiling because of the 4 women they saw "going places". Good for you Bri. What a once in a lifetime experience you are having.

    ReplyDelete