Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Siem Reap

So I've been in my new home now for five days and I am loving it! It is so beautiful here and the traffic is so much better than in Phnom Phen.
 I spent the weekend trying to get used to the new city and getting settled with the things that I still needed, but Monday I hit the ground running. I spent Monday and Tuesday out in the city with the girls who work in the beauty salon, Sony and Srey Oun and out translator Savry trying to find materials for the salon.
 When I was told I needed to find a long list of items, including a school to send girls to to learn hair, I was more overwhelmed than excited about the adventure. But it turned out to be such a blessing! Since I don't know the language or city, and can't use the internet to find supplies, I had to rely heavily on Savry to take us to the right spot and negotiate good prices. Spending the day with Sony and Srey Oun really helped establish a relationship between the three of us, and although we're not best friends or anything, there is joy in seeing each other-which is a huge blessing since I am overseeing them for the foreseeable future.

We've gone out twice trying to canvas the neighborhood and invite karaoke girls to come to our shop at Rahab's House. The first night we weren't allowed in any of the housing complexes and only were able to talk to a handful of women. As a result we only had three women come into the salon. Today, we went out canvasing again. We finally found out that many of the girls we were trying to reach out to were actually already at the karaoke bars. We talked to the community and the few girls that weren't at work yet and headed back to Rahab's House. When we got there, the salon was jammed packed with women! I can't even tell you how stoked I was to see that sight!
We got the green light to actually go into the karaoke bar right by us to pass out fliers while the girls are working later on this evening. So right now we're just regrouping before we head out again! I'm excited to see how God is going to use this time and pray that things go well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment