Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Ultimate Coverage

For the past two days I have been helping Isaac get his new office painted. Now, I don't want to brag, but I've painted a wall or two in my day and done a pretty much awesome job-just sayin. So when Isaac said that I could help him paint, I thought "Sweet! We'll have this room finished in 2, 3 hours max!"Ahhhh, so idealistic of me....
Since acts of service happens to be one my love languages, I decided to try and help Isaac by starting the project. I got the roller full of paint, and started to roll. Only one little problem...the roller (usually of the curricular persuasion in America) was mostly round, with one flatter side, making it more of a square roller than a curricular one. As one might imagine, paint went everywhere when I tried to apply said paint to wall.
Since using a drop cloth was not part of the plan for this painting expedition, and no rags were anywhere to be found, I decided to be resourceful and used my hands to mop up the paint so that the floor wouldn't be paint covered. (The brilliance of this plan is overwhelming is it not?)
Well having managed to clean up the floor so Isaac wouldn't see, I now had to wipe off my hands. Again being resourceful and without a rag, I used the wall. It's going to be painted anyway right? This way no one would realize my ridiculousness. And had my hands not been dirty, this plan would have worked. But alas, the dirty hand smudge marks spoke for themselves. Needless to say, I lost roller privileges and was asked to simply cut in.
Now, the electricity here can be a little sketchy, so after painting in a dark, poorly ventilated room with no air flow, one needs to find ways to make the time a little more enjoyable. While Isaac painted with the square roller and whistling Jack Johnson, I cut in the corners. We had worked for about an hour when Isaac finally looked at the wall he had started on, looked at the roller and then in a very frustrated voice declared, "It's fake paint!" After about two coats, that paint only had a whitewashed looked, which was unfortunate since we were painting over yellow to make solid white...
To make a long story short; after a solid six hours, at least 6 coats of paint, almost an entire bucket gone (not a gallon, but a big bucket), and lots of time praying and laughing, the room was finally finished. And let me tell you, the cutting in around the walls look FABULOUS!Thank you very much!
Ironically enough, the brand of paint Isaac bought was called "The Ultimate Coverage". I hope this isn't an indicator of the quality of goods for the next two years ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment