Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Thrifty Gone Awry

So having lived here for almost six months now, I was feeling it might be time to update the wardrobe. Now, since both finances and retailing options really don't allow for many opportunities to buy new clothes, I decided to go all pintrest on some of my clothing items and do it myself.
I have this one long dress that I cut to make two skirts since the floor length dress is simply too hot or hard to walk in the rain. I realized today that while I have worn one of the skirts several times, I have yet to wear the other skirt. So before heading back to the office from my lunch break I donned this "new" skirt. Now it's a little big, but I figured I was just teaching English and hanging out with karaoke girls so there shouldn't be any issue with it.
After changing I headed back. About half way through the class I realized I was the victim of a wardrobe malfunction. My skirt had fallen much to my embarrassment. Now either none of the girls noticed because they were all so enthralled in the awesome lesson going on, or  they simply didn't want to mention it. I'm going to choose the first scenario.
So fear not, I fixed the problem. Tied the skirt and then headed out with Bella to pass out fliers for a free clinic. We saw that a storm was coming but figured we could easily avoid it. And much to everyone's surprise I for once was correct. We didn't get soaked. ( ha! That's what you get for assuming the worst about my deductive skills.) Having passed out the fliers and returned ti Rahab's house, I packed up my belongings knowing that the storm was coming and it looked like there was going to be some major rain. Before I could finish gathering my stuff if began to pour. I did my best to water proof the purse and laptop. Having ghetto rigged my skirt by tying knots and my purse and laptop by stuffing it full of bags and towels to keep water off, I set out in the downpour. I made it to the end of our drive way before my awesome MacGyver inspired belongs began to fail me. The rain was so intense that the street was flooded almost to my ankles. The rain immediately soaked the skirt causing the knots to come untied. My purse over my shoulder was so bulky my right arm stuck out as if I had a cast made immobile by securing to the waist.
I tried darting under the little awnings as best I could but come on, I didn't want to look like a fool. Instead I ran the most direct route through the flooded street. My flip flops were so slippery in the brown foamy water I could barely keep them on. I was picking my feet up out of the water to run making it look like I was attempting a high knees workout. In the middle of this graceful maneuvering, my skirt almost completely fell off so I quickly grabbed it and held it with my left hand. So here I am running down the street looking like I have one immobile arm, holding up my soaking skirt, dancing around like a fool trying to keep my shoes on while doing the silliest dance through the water. (I think there is a children's animated character that would perfectly embody this scene, but sadly I can't think of which one.)
Yup. I'm glad I decided to be thrifty and wear my homemade skirt today. Maybe I should lay off the pintrest for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment