Monday, August 13, 2012

On the Other Hand

So we've been working to build trust in the community and with the girls at the massage parlors and karaoke clubs, and it has been a challenge. After three months of consistent daily outreach, the girls still aren't sure about us. Well, last week was the first of many bittersweet conversations.
We were sitting at the karaoke club near us with the girls while they were gambling. We brought them bananas to snack on. After many months of coming, they made their first joke with us. They began joking around about the different men they've been with and comparing them to the bananas. It completely freaked out Bella, and I was completely unaware at first. On the the one hand, it's a bummer that they can compare that many men, on the other hand, I am really glad that they are comfortable enough with us now to talk about it.

Today in English I was talking with some of my karaoke girls that speak more English. One of them was telling me how embarrassed she is by her job. She won't even tell her family (whom she helps support) how she makes money. On the one hand it was heart breaking listening to her, on the other what a blessing that she is open to change and open to being helped.

I was talking to another one of my girls. She wanted to show me a picture of a guy she really liked. She tried to show me once, and I never got to see it, so the second time she hurried home to get it and bring it back to me. She wad so excited to show me the man she had fallen in love with. When she handed me a picture of several men in the U.S. Navy in uniform. She pointed to the one she wished she could marry, but he was already married so they could only email. On the one hand, I was heart broken and angry to see those uniforms. I was saddened to hear that he was married and cheating on his wife, and even more upset that he had taken the heart of this beautiful young woman in front of me. On the other hand, what a blessing that she wanted to share something so precious to her with me.

We pass out protection of any girl that asks for it. While talking to two girls about giving them some, it came out in the conversation that one of the girls had already gotten pregnant before. After assuring me that she was not currently pregnant, she explained that she had five abortions and one child before learning how to properly use protection. I don't think I need to explain the saddening part of this story. The bright side on the other hand was a little harder to find, but I figure that God has plans for that little three year old boy. Thank goodness she finally learned how to use protection.

There are so many stories. So many great ones. So many sad ones. But I am noticing that as long as I look for Him, God's providence is in each one of them. I just have to look at both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment