Monday, September 3, 2012

Only in Cambodia

Came into Rahab's House today and was pretty surprised to poop in the middle of the floor. So as you can imagine, my interest was peaked as to why there was poop in the house. When I asked one of the girls, she very nonchalantly explained that a dog had pooped there. I realize that this might not seem like a reasonable explanation to you, but we are talking about Cambodia here, and on more than one occasion have I found dogs that have wandered into our open doors. So, I took that as a reasonable answer and thought nothing more of it. The poop was cleaned up and the day progressed.
As I was leaving to pick up kids from school, I had a realization. We just installed 2 foot high walls to protect against flooding. So in order to get in or out of Rahab's House, you have to climb/step over these walls. And the thought occurred to me: "How on earth did a dog get inside the house?" But again, this is Cambodia, you really can't dwell on details.
An hour later, I walked back into Rahab's House and found two more piles of poop and a puddle of pee. Again this was an attention grabber. Again I asked about it. Again, I was told that it was a dog that pooped and peed. Again, I took this as good response and went to teach my last English class.
During class I heard a dog. And it was loud. I mean very loud. In fact, it was so loud, you would think that there was a dog inside the house. But that couldn't be...we don't have dogs, nor do we allow them. But, I decided to check out what was interrupting my class. Low and behold, there was a puppy sitting under the desk downstairs.
So, we picked the little six inch high trouble maker and put him outside and I headed back upstairs. Then the barking began. Well, I'm not sure you could call it barking exactly...it was more like a squeaky toy meets a cat's meow. It sat outside meowing and squeaky at the wall hoping to be let back in. Then it decided to get protective and try and scare off cars that came near our driveway. So as it ran back and forth it sounded like a cat riding a bicycle with a squeaky toy caught in its wheels. It was hands down one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.
As you can imagine, my English class wasn't very productive today. Poor students were stuck with a teacher who kept breaking into giggles. Oh man...only in Cambodia...

1 comment:

  1. I just caught myself up on your Cambodia. Feel like I'm right there with you. Please go on to say in your next post that the puppy will guard Rahab's House!!! Do you hold the karaoke luncheons at Rahab's house or do you reserve a table at an actual karaoke bar?
    Praying for more staff! And for your balancing act of duties! Love ya

    ReplyDelete